You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

If you get Short-term Assistance

You may have lost some related benefits or services if your disability payment was reduced or stopped.

If you’re awarded Short-term Assistance, you can reapply for some of those benefits and services while you wait for the outcome of:

  • a re-determination
  • an appeal

Benefits you can reapply for include:

  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Council Tax Exemption
  • Blue Badge parking permit
  • National Entitlement Card (bus pass)

You may also be able to get other services from your local council.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries and Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit The Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Shetland CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

If you get Short-term Assistance it does not mean you’ll be eligible for any benefits you may have lost from:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

This is because Short-term Assistance is only available in Scotland.

If your disability payment goes back up or starts again, you can reapply for those benefits from HMRC and DWP. You may also be able to get backdated payments for them.

Find out more about Short-term Assistance.

Back to top