You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Help with benefits

Benefits calculators

Work out what benefits you could get with an online calculator.

How benefits are paid

Find out about how and when your benefits are paid.

Self-employment and Universal Credit

If you're self-employed, but on a low income or out of work, you may be able to get Universal Credit.

Money Talk Team

The Money Talk Team is a service that offers money advice to older people and families.

It helps explain how to make the most of your income and make sure you're not paying more than you need to for services like gas, electricity and internet.

It can help you find out:

  • what benefits you can get
  • how to save money on your bills
  • what other money you may be entitled to

You can chat to the Money Talk Team by calling 0800 085 7145, or by setting up a meeting to your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Benefit cap

The benefit cap is the limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged between 16 and 64 can get.

Find out more about the benefit cap.

Budgeting Loans

A Budgeting Loan can help you pay for things like your rent, things you need at home and some debts.

Find out more Budgeting Loans.

Getting local benefits advice

If you need help with a benefits problem or cannot work out what you're entitled to, there are local organisations who can give you advice and support.

Your local council

Many local councils have welfare rights advisers who can:

  • tell you what benefits and other entitlements are available
  • carry out checks so you don't miss out on any benefits
  • help you complete forms
  • give advice and support if your application for a benefit is turned down or you do not get the amount you were expecting
Visit Aberdeen City Council Visit Aberdeenshire Council Visit Angus Council Visit Argyll and Bute Council Visit Clackmannanshire Council Visit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) Visit Dumfries and Galloway Council Visit Dundee City Council Visit East Ayrshire Council Visit East Dunbartonshire Council Visit East Lothian Council Visit East Renfrewshire Council Visit Edinburgh Council Visit Falkirk Council Visit Fife Council Visit Glasgow City Council Visit The Highland Council Visit Inverclyde Council Visit Midlothian Council Visit Moray Council Visit North Ayrshire Council Visit North Lanarkshire Council Visit Orkney Islands Council Visit Perth & Kinross Council Visit Renfrewshire Council Visit Scottish Borders Council Visit South Ayrshire Council Visit South Lanarkshire Council Visit Shetland Council Visit Stirling Council Visit West Dunbartonshire Council Visit West Lothian Council

Citizens Advice Scotland

The advisers at your local Citizens Advice Bureau give information on benefits and other issues like housing, debt and employment. Find a bureau near you.

If you need to claim Universal Credit, Citizens Advice can support you in the early stages of your claim. Find out more about Help to Claim.

Shelter Scotland

0808 800 4444 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
Find a Shelter Scotland project near you for advice on benefits and other problems related to housing.

Age Scotland

0800 4 70 80 90 (24 hours)
Get benefits advice for older people at your nearest Age Scotland office.

Turn to Us

This charity helps people in financial hardship find advice on benefits, housing, jobs and legal issues.

Macmillan Cancer Support

0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm)
Macmillan advisers offer benefits advice for people affected by cancer. Search for support in your local area and filter the search results to 'benefits advice services'.

Back to top