You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Moving from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Adult Disability Payment

Your benefit will move from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland if you:

  • live in Scotland
  • get Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • were born on or after 8 April 1948

The process of moving some people on DLA started on 29 August 2022.

A new Scottish benefit called Adult Disability Payment is replacing DLA. This is happening as part of Scottish devolution.

You'll keep getting your regular DLA payments until your benefit moves. There’ll be no gaps in payment.

Whose DLA will move

If you were born on or after 8 April 1948, your DLA award will move to Social Security Scotland if:

  • you report a change to your disability or health condition
  • you ask to move to Adult Disability Payment
  • your DLA award is ending or renewing from summer 2022

After Social Security Scotland moves your benefit, they’ll pay you an interim Adult Disability Payment award. This will be the same amount as your DLA. There will be no gaps in payment.

Social Security Scotland will not reassess or review your award during the move. 

After the move, Social Security Scotland will begin to review your award based on your current circumstances. This may affect your payment.

If you’re thinking about asking to have your DLA moved to Adult Disability Payment, you should get independent advice.

An adviser will be able to talk to you about your circumstances and discuss what you should consider before asking to move to Adult Disability Payment.

If the circumstances above do not apply to you, or you were born before 8 April 1948, DWP will continue to pay you DLA. Your benefit will move at a later date.

Social Security Scotland will move your benefit

Social Security Scotland will move your benefit, you do not need to do anything. 

This means that you do not have to end your DLA or apply for a new Social Security Scotland benefit.

Get support from an independent advocate

Independent advocates are available to help you with the process of having your benefit moved to Social Security Scotland.

The Independent Advocacy Service is provided by VoiceAbility.

If you need an advocate, you should:

  • contact Social Security Scotland
  • ask them to refer you to the Independent Advocacy Service

Contact Social Security Scotland:

  • free on 0800 182 2222
  • webchat
  • Text Relay Service on 18001 +0300 244 4000

British Sign Language users can use the Contact Scotland service.

You can also contact VoiceAbility direct:

Get this information in other formats

You can call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Find out what to do if you need help contacting Social Security Scotland, or are calling from abroad.

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video call.

Back to top