You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Moving from Disability Living Allowance (DLA) to Scottish Adult Disability Living Allowance

Social Security Scotland is taking over the administration and payment of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

From Spring 2025, your DLA will automatically move to a new benefit called Scottish Adult DLA.

Scottish Adult DLA is only available to people who:

  • are over 18
  • already get DLA from DWP
  • live in Scotland

Reporting changes

It’s important that you tell DWP about any changes before the move, so you continue to get the right payment for your needs.

Changes can include:

  • changes in your health condition or needs
  • a name change
  • a change of address
  • a change in your contact details
  • your bank details

Call DWP free on 0800 121 4600.

Contact the Text Relay Service on 18001 +0800 121 4600 (for the hard of hearing). 

British Sign Language users can visit

For more options visit

When your DLA will move

The move will happen in stages. It will not happen to everyone at the same time.

Transfers to Adult Disability Payment will continue until Scottish Adult DLA is launched in 2025. Find out whose benefit is moving to Adult Disability Payment and what happens next.

If this does not apply to you, we’ll let you know when it is time for your benefit to move to Scottish Adult DLA and anything you need to do.

Your DLA payments

You'll keep getting your regular DLA payments from DWP until your benefit moves.

There will be no gap in your entitlement. You’ll be paid the same amount when your benefit moves to Scottish Adult DLA.

Motability payments will move automatically

If you have a Motability lease, DWP will continue to pay your lease until the move to Social Security Scotland is complete. 

Social Security Scotland will automatically take over any payments to Motability after the move. This means there will be no gap in your Motability payments.

Get support from an independent advocate

Independent advocates are available to help you with the process of having your benefit moved to Social Security Scotland.

The Independent Advocacy Service is provided by VoiceAbility.

If you need an advocate, you should:

  • contact Social Security Scotland
  • ask them to refer you to the Independent Advocacy Service

Contact Social Security Scotland:

  • free on 0800 182 2222
  • webchat
  • Text Relay Service on 18001 +0300 244 4000

British Sign Language users can use the Contact Scotland service.

You can also contact VoiceAbility direct:

Get this information in other formats

You can call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Find out what to do if you need help contacting Social Security Scotland, or are calling from abroad.

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the Contact Scotland BSL app to contact Social Security Scotland by video call.

Back to top