To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Get support as a victim or witness of crime

Find out what emotional support and practical information is available if you have been the victim of crime.

You have the right to use victim support services, even if the crime has not been reported to the police.

Support after a crime

Victim Support Scotland

Whether you decide to report a crime or not – or you have not decided yet – Victim Support Scotland can give you emotional and practical help and support.

Victim Support Scotland
Phone: 0800 160 1985 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm)
Find out about call charges

If you report a crime, the police – with your permission – may pass on your details to Victim Support Scotland.

The police will check how you want to be contacted if it's not appropriate that Victim Support Scotland contact you at home.

Victim Support Scotland gives free and confidential support to victims, witnesses and others affected by crime, including:

  • emotional support

  • practical help, like help filling in forms for insurance and assisting with home and personal security

  • liaison with other organisations on behalf of victims and witnesses

  • advice about going to court or being a witness

  • recommending other organisations that can help you

Victim Information and Advice (VIA)

You may be introduced to a Victim Information and Advice (VIA) officer if it's likely your case is going to result in criminal charges against someone and it involves:

  • domestic abuse
  • child victims or witnesses
  • hate crime
  • sexual crime

They'll give you information about the criminal justice system, keep you informed about the progress of the case and put you in touch with other organisations that can help you.

Support for children and young people

If you've been a victim or witness of crime, you might feel worried, angry, or alone. Everyone is affected by crime in their own way, and different crimes can affect people differently too.

Young victims of crime

If you're worried about giving evidence at court, you can get support to help you feel better about telling the court what you know.

Help if you're a young witness at court

Your rights – the Victims' Code

As a victim of crime you have rights. The Victims' Code for Scotland sets out these rights and who to contact for help and advice.

Read more about the Victims' Code for Scotland.

Support at court

If you're asked to be a witness

The Witness Service is provided by trained Victim Support Scotland staff and volunteers at all high court and sheriff court locations. They can:

  • give you practical help and information on what happens at court
  • arrange for you to visit the court before the trial starts – so you know what to expect

Find out more about what happens when you're a witness at court and what you'll be asked to do.

Help to give your best evidence

Some witnesses – because of their circumstances or the nature of the crime – may be able to get extra support when they give evidence.

Find out more about giving evidence at court, including 'special measures' for vulnerable witnesses.

If you're not asked to be a witness

If you're a victim of crime but have not been called to give evidence as a witness, you might not be informed about the trial. However, you can ask for information about what happens with the case at court.

Practical information

What happens after a crime – the criminal justice system

If you have been a victim or witness of a crime, you may have contact with a number of organisations and people who work in the criminal justice system – like the police, courts, and the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.

Find out what happens at each stage of the criminal justice process

Dealing with the media

The media may be interested in your story as a victim or witness of crime.

Find information on dealing with the media

Claiming compensation

You may be eligible for compensation if you or someone you know has been hurt in a violent crime.

Find out how to claim compensation for a criminal injury

I've been affected by...

Domestic abuse

Find advice and practical information if you or someone you know is affected by domestic abuse, including links to support organisations and what happens if you decide to report it.

What to do if you're affected by domestic abuse


If you or someone you care for has been bereaved by a murder or culpable homicide, there are a number of organisations that can offer you support and advice.

Find support for families of murder victims


If you're a victim of stalking, this can cause great anxiety and distress. There are a number of organisations you can contact for practical advice and support.

What to do if you're being stalked

Human trafficking

Human trafficking is when someone is brought to (or moved around) a country by people who threaten, frighten, hurt and force them to do work or other things they do not want to do.

Support if you're affected by human trafficking

Rape or sexual assault

If you've been raped or sexually assaulted, you're not to blame. The police and support organisations are there to help.

Find support if you've been raped or sexually assaulted

Crime abroad

In most countries, you must report the crime before you leave the country if you want it to be investigated. You might need to report the crime to make a claim on your travel insurance.

What to do if you're affected by crime abroad

A road crash

The aftermath of a serious road crash can be devastating. If you've lost someone close to you or have been badly injured, you may be affected physically, practically or emotionally.

Support for victims of road crashes

Youth crime

The Scottish Children's Reporter Administration (SCRA) has a victim information service. This helps people affected by crime committed by young people.

Support if you're affected by youth crime

Online crime

Get help and support if you're a victim of online crime (like fraud, cyberbullying or stalking) or need to know more about how you can protect yourself.

Support for victims of online crime

Hate crime

Crimes committed against someone because of their disability, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, religion or belief are hate crimes and should be reported to the police. Find out what emotional and practical support is available.

Support for victims of hate crime

Childhood abuse

If you were abused as a child, it's important to know that what happened to you was not your fault. You can get support whether or not the abuse was reported to the police, even if it was a long time ago.

Support for victims of childhood abuse

Intimate image sharing

You can tell the police if someone shares an intimate image of you without your consent. This is sometimes called 'revenge porn' or 'the non-consensual sharing of intimate images'.

If you're unsure about talking to the police, there are lots of people you can trust who can help you work out what to do.

Support if someone shares your intimate picture without permission

Forced marriage

Forced marriage is when you face physical, emotional or psychological pressure to marry. It is against the law to force someone into a marriage or civil partnership, and help is available from the police and support organisations.

Support for victims of forced marriage

Back to top