To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Road crash victims: support


If you're in danger call 999 straight away. Call 101 to report something minor.

If you've lost someone close to you or have been badly hurt in a road crash, you can get help no matter when the crash happened.

Help from the police

If you've lost someone, a Family Liaison Officer or a police contact may speak to you. They should be able to:

  • help you see a loved one's body
  • tell you what action the police are going to take
  • help you handle the media, if they contact you
  • help answer any questions you may have, or tell you about someone who can
  • put you in touch with support, if you need it

If you have a serious injury, you may be able to ask for a Family Liaison Officer. If you cannot get one, you still have the right to know more about what action the police are taking.

Victim help and advice

If the police are going to charge someone with a crime, a Victim Information and Advice officer may speak to you.

They'll update you on the progress of the case and help you get in touch with support organisations – if this is what you want.

Brake – the road safety charity

Phone: 0808 8000 401 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm)
Find out about call charges.

Phone the Brake helpline for any support you need. They can also put you in touch with local people who have been through the same thing as you.

Support guides for road crash victims

Brake also has support packs if you've lost someone or been hurt in a crash. In the pack, you'll find advice on:

  • what happens after a crash
  • what happens in an intensive care unit
  • hospital and getting better
  • police investigations
  • what happens in court
  • claiming money if you're hurt or a crash was not your fault
  • support you can get for children who've lost someone

The guide called 'Information and advice for bereaved families and friends following a death on the road' has a version for Scottish readers.

Support groups

S.C.I.D (Scotland's Campaign Against Irresponsible Drivers)
Telephone: 01236 610234
Campaigns for the rights of road crash victims and their families.

Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland
Phone: 0808 802 6161
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 8pm
Friday, 9am to 4pm
Offers one-to-one help across Scotland and support through the helpline if you've lost someone.

The Samaritans
Phone: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours a day, every day)
Gives emotional support if you're in distress, despair or thinking of harming yourself.

The Compassionate Friends
Phone: 0345 123 2304 (10am to 4pm and 7pm to 10pm)
Offers support to parents and families after the death of a child. The helpline is always answered by a parent who, in the past, has lost a child. There's also an online forum where you can speak to other families who've lost children.

Victim Support Scotland
Phone: 0800 160 1985 (weekdays 8am to 8pm)
Provides information and support for victims of crime.


If you've been bereaved or injured in a road crash and it was not your fault, you can claim compensation.

Back to top