To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Support after rape or sexual assault

Rape and sexual assault are types of sexual violence. It happens when someone does not consent to a sexual act.

You can be raped or sexually assaulted by a stranger or someone you know. It can happen to anyone.

It may have happened recently or a long time ago. It can happen once or often.

What you can do

Self refer to a Sexual Assault Response Coordination Service (SARCS)

If you’ve been raped or sexually assaulted within the last 7 days and do not want to tell the police or are unsure about telling them, you can self-refer to a SARCS. SARCS offer healthcare and support and you do not need a doctor to refer you, you can do this yourself.

You can find more information about how to self-refer to a SARCS,  and the telephone number to call to speak to a trained healthcare professional on the NHS inform website. The helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The leaflet Turn to SARCS gives more information on:

  • your options available following a rape or sexual assault
  • how to self-refer to a SARCS
  • what to expect during and following a Forensic Medical Examination

Report it to the police

You can report a rape or sexual assault at any time by:

Back to top