You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Claiming after a criminal injury in the UK

You may be eligible for compensation if you or someone you know has been hurt in a violent crime.

You must report the crime to the police in order to claim compensation. Otherwise, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) will not be able to make a payment.

Visit GOV.UK to access the online form for claiming compensation for a criminal injury.

Other ways to apply

Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority helpline
Telephone: 0300 003 3601
Find out about call charges

Get help with your application

You can get advice from a law centre, or from a welfare rights organisation. If you belong to a trade union, they may be able to help. Your local citizens advice bureau can tell you how the scheme works and help you find a lawyer.

If your application is turned down

If your application is turned down, you can appeal.

Visit GOV.UK to find out how to appeal to the criminal injuries compensation tribunal.

Further information

Read GOV.UK's guide to criminal injuries compensation for more detailed information on eligibility and how your claim will be handled.

Back to top