You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

If you're acting on behalf of someone else

If the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) appointed you to act for someone who cannot manage their benefits, you can continue to act for them for their Adult Disability Payment.

If you’re acting as an appointee, Social Security Scotland will contact you to review your appointment.

Find out more about acting on behalf of someone claiming benefits.

Your responsibilities

Keep any money you receive from Social Security Scotland separate from your own money. Make sure nobody else can access it.

You may want to keep track of payments and spending.

You should always spend the money in ways that benefit the person you’re acting for.

When you make decisions for them, think about their:

  • needs
  • past and present wishes
  • feelings

If you have difficulty communicating with the person you’re acting for because of their disability, contact Social Security Scotland to get extra support from an advocate.

You can call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. Opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Find out what to do if you need help contacting Social Security Scotland, or are calling from abroad.

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the Contact Scotland BSL app to contact Social Security Scotland by video call.

Your responsibility as a representative

Third party representatives are people who help with things like:

  • filling in forms
  • making phone calls
  • checking the progress of an application
  • telling Social Security Scotland about a change

This could be an interpreter, nurse or family member.

If you've been helping someone with their Personal Independence Payment (PIP), then Social Security Scotland won't know about this. You'll need to tell Social Security Scotland and also let them know if you want to carry on. Social Security Scotland will check that this is what the person you're helping wants too.

Social Security Scotland is not allowed to share some kinds of information with a third party representative, such as:

  • bank account details
  • details about the person's condition

You can only act in this role for a maximum of 3 months unless the person gives permission for you to carry on for longer.

Back to top