You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Contact Social Security Scotland

You can contact Social Security Scotland by web chat, phone or post.

By web chat

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, you can contact us on web chat between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday:

  • for general enquiries
  • to check the progress of your application
  • to let us know something's changed with your application

You can make a new application using the links below.

We can answer your questions quicker if we know your National Insurance number.

We'll never ask for your bank details through web chat.

By phone

Freephone: 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday). If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay.

If calling from outside the UK, call +44 (0)1382 931 000. This number is not free but you can ask Social Security Scotland to call you back. You should check with your phone provider to find out about any charges.

Stay safe on the phone

We'll never phone you to take a payment. If you're not sure it is us calling, end the call and contact us on 0800 182 2222. We'll tell you if the call was from us.

By post

Social Security Scotland
General Enquiries
PO Box 10301

If you want to apply for Best Start Grant or Best Start Foods

Apply for Best Start Grant or Best Start Foods.

If you want to apply for the Funeral Support Payment

Apply for the Funeral Support Payment.

If you want to apply for Child Disability Payment

Apply for Child Disability Payment.

If you want to apply for Young Carer Grant

Apply for Young Carer Grant.

If you want to apply for Job Start Payment

Apply for Job Start Payment.

If you want to give feedback

You can give feedback to tell Social Security Scotland that they:

  • do something well
  • need to improve something

If something goes wrong, or you're unhappy with their service, they'll work with you to fix it.


Complain about Social Security Scotland.

Back to top