You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Apply to lease accessible vehicles

The Accessible Vehicles and Equipment Scheme helps disabled people to lease a range of vehicles from the Scottish Government's authorised provider including:

  • cars
  • scooters
  • powered wheelchairs
  • specially adapted vehicles

How it works 

When you lease a vehicle through the scheme, it will be with the Scottish Government's authorised provider, Motability.

Social Security Scotland will help you pay the lease using all or part of the child or young person’s higher rate mobility component of Child Disability Payment. 

You can find more information about the scheme on the Motability website

Who can apply 

You can apply to lease a vehicle for children and young people who get the higher rate mobility component of Child Disability Payment.

You may also apply to lease a vehicle yourself if you get the higher rate mobility component of Child Disability Payment and you're (both of the following):

  • aged 16 or over
  • able to manage your own payments

Child Disability Payment is currently only open for applications in three council areas:

  • Dundee City
  • Perth and Kinross
  • Western Isles

If you do not live in one of these areas and you get Disability Living Allowance, you may still be able to lease a vehicle. The Department for Work and Pensions offers the Motability Scheme.

How to apply

To apply to lease a vehicle using the scheme, go to the Motability website where you can:

When visiting a dealership, you need to present your certificate of entitlement. You'll find this included in your decision award letter. 

Back to top