You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

How to apply

The application is in 2 parts. This is unless you're applying for a child who is terminally ill, in which case there is only 1 part to make the process faster. Find out more about applying when a child is terminally ill.

You should complete both parts of the application within 6 weeks of each other. If you have any difficulties meeting the timescales, contact Social Security Scotland to discuss.

You do not need to apply for Child Disability Payment if the child already gets Disability Living Allwance (DLA) for children. 

From mid October 2021:

  • cases will start to move to Child Disability Payment in stages
  • you’ll get your payments from Social Security Scotland instead


To apply online, start the application through myaccount. This lets you save the application as you go so you can come back to it when it suits you.

If you do not already have an account with myaccount, you'll need to:

  • register with a username and password
  • give some personal details

Apply online

Phone and paper 

You can call Social Security Scotland by phone to start an application for a child.

Freephone: 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday).

If you need to contact Social Security Scotland from outside the UK, please call +44 (0)138 2931 000. This call is not free but you can ask Social Security Scotland to call you back. Check with your phone provider for details of charges.

Social Security Scotland will ask for some details about you and the child so they can start your application.

They'll then send you a paper application to complete and return in a prepaid envelope.

Both parts of the paper application form must be signed by the person completing the application.

If you’re sending information to Social Security Scotland from outside the UK, you’ll need to pay the correct amount for postage. Check with your local postal service.

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the Contact Scotland service to contact Social Security Scotland.

Getting help to apply 

The Social Security Scotland Local Delivery service can help you to apply for Child Disability Payment.

Find out more about help to apply for Child Disability Payment

If you want to apply in a language that’s not English

Contact Social Security Scotland to apply over the phone - you can do this in over 100 languages with an interpreter they’ll provide. 

There are no costs for you to apply in a language that’s not English.

The online and paper application forms are only in English. 

If you applied for DLA for children but should have applied for Child Disability Payment

The Department for Work and Pensions will send your application to Social Security Scotland. 

Social Security Scotland will: 

You'll get your payments from the date you applied for DLA for children, if your application is successful.

You do not need to complete a separate Child Disability Payment application. 

Back to top