You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Leaving Scotland temporarily

The rules about how long you can be away and still receive payment depends on what assistance you’re getting and the reason you’re away.

Child Disability Payment

For Child Disability Payment the rules about being away from home temporarily depend on whether you’re going somewhere inside or outside of the Common Travel Area. 

The Common Travel Area is: 

  • United Kingdom
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Isle of Man
  • Channel Islands

If you’re moving temporarily inside the Common Travel Area there is no time limit as long as it’s not a permanent move away from your address in Scotland.

If you’re moving temporarily outside of the Common Travel Area you can only continue to get Child Disability Payment for the first 13 weeks.  

If you’re moving temporarily outside of the Common Travel Area because of medical treatment you can continue to get payments for up to 26 weeks. Medical treatment means medical, surgical, psychological or rehabilitative treatment.

After 13 weeks (or 26 weeks for medical treatment) your payment will stop. 

Carer’s Allowance Supplement 

If you’re leaving Scotland temporarily you can do so for up to 4 weeks out of a 26-week period, and continue to receive Carer’s Allowance Supplement .

Telling Social Security Scotland that you are moving

It’s very important that you let Social Security Scotland know if you leave Scotland even if this is only a temporary move. 

Find out how to let Social Security Scotland know that you’ve moved

Back to top