You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Sending documents to Social Security Scotland

Supporting information for Adult Disability Payment reviews

In a review, you may need to send documents to Social Security Scotland. This will help them to make a decision as part of your review.

This is called supporting information, and can be provided by a professional person involved in your treatment or care, or who understands your needs.

Supporting information can also come from someone who knows how your condition affects you day to day and understands your needs. This could be a family member or friend.

Find out more about examples of supporting information, who can provide it and when you can send it.

You can provide supporting information with your review form if you have it.

If you do not have supporting information available when you submit your review form, you still have 28 days to gather it yourself. You can also ask Social Security Scotland to help, however this might mean it takes longer to process your review.

Social Security Scotland can help if:

  • you’re unsure what information to give them
  • you do not know where to find the information

Social Security Scotland only needs to see information about changes. There’s no need to send a document again if they've already seen it.

If you tell Social Security Scotland nothing has changed, they may still need to ask you for supporting information as part of your review.

How to send your documents

Uploading your documents online is the fastest way to get them to Social Security Scotland. You can save a scan of your document or take a picture with a smartphone.

You can also send Social Security Scotland photocopies of your documents in the post. It can take them up to 2 weeks to return any original documents you send. 

Send your documents by post to:
Adult Disability Payment
PO Box 27178
G4 7ED

You should write the following information on your photocopies:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number
  • the words ‘Adult Disability Payment’, so Social Security Scotland knows what benefit you get

You can find your National Insurance number:

  • on your payslip or P60
  • on letters about your tax, pension or benefits
  • in the National Insurance section of your personal tax account

If you need help with supporting information

If you would like some help to gather supporting information:

Back to top