If you're the parent, parent substitute or sibling (aged under 18) of a young inpatient under the age of 18 receiving hospital care, you can claim for the costs of travel and food. An inpatient is a patient who lives in hospital while having treatment.
You must claim from the Young Patients Family Fund within 3 months of the young inpatient being discharged from hospital.
How to claim
Download and fill in the claim form.
What you need when claiming
When filling in the claim form you'll need the following information:
- patient’s name and date of birth
- names of parents, parent substitute or siblings and their contact details
- name of the hospital, ward name and number
- consultant's name
- date of admission
- details of your claim
- due date (if applicable)
- bank details, if you want to receive expenses through BACS and the hospital has the facilities to process such transfers
You must submit evidence with your claim form (for example, receipts or bank statements) for all public transport, parking and accommodation.
You must get the form signed by a medical professional at the hospital where the young patient was cared for.
Where to claim
After you've filled in the claim form, hand it in to the cash office of the hospital where the patient is being treated or post it to the NHS Board in the area where they are being treated.
When to claim
You can make a claim:
- more than once throughout the young inpatient’s stay in hospital – for example, weekly
- in full for the entire stay in hospital once they have been discharged – this must be within 3 months
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback