The PVG scheme does not apply to all jobs and volunteering. It only applies to 'regulated work'. There are 2 types of regulated work – work with children and work with protected adults. Examples include:
- jobs with caring responsibilities
- teaching or supervising children or protected adults
- providing personal services to children or protected adults
- working directly with children or protected adults
There are many different roles where the PVG scheme can apply. They can be paid or unpaid. Some examples are:
- girl guide leader
It can also apply to certain positions of trust within organisations, even when the role does not involve direct contact with children or protected adults. Examples include:
- membership of certain council committees
- trustees of charities focused on children
- trustees of charities focused on protected adults
Some employers, like aid agencies, send people to provide care and education in countries outside the UK. These employers can apply for PVG checks when that work would be considered as regulated work in Scotland.
If you're employing someone to do regulated work for you, you can use the PVG scheme. For example, you could be employing a personal carer, or you could be a parent employing a private tutor for your child.
You can ask the person you're employing to apply online for a PVG check. If you countersign their application, you'll receive a copy of their PVG certificate.
This certificate is called a Scheme Membership Statement. It shows their PVG membership information. It includes confirmation they they're not barred from working with children/protected adults and shows if they're under consideration for listing.
Find out more about what each type of PVG certificate shows.
You cannot use the PVG scheme if the person doing the work:
- is a family member who lives with you
- lives with you as if they’re a family member (such as someone who is not related to you but lives with and cares for you)
- has a personal relationship with you and is not being employed or paid for the work (such as a friend or neighbour)
If you're unsure whether a role qualifies for PVG, or you need help with the application process, you can contact Disclosure Scotland:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone 0300 020 0040
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback