Keeping your home
Deal with rent arrears
What you can do if you're behind with your rent payments.
- Read about dealing with rent arrears
- Your rights as a tenant if you're behind with your rent payments and your mental illness is a disability – Shelter Scotland
- Advice if you live in supported accommodation – Shelter Scotland
Deal with mortgage arrears or repossession
You can get support if you're having mortgage difficulties and you're worried you might lose your home.
- Read our guide for home owners with mortgage difficulties
- What you can do to stay in your home – the Scottish Legal Aid Board and Shelter Scotland
- Dealing with mortgage arrears – Shelter Scotland
Get home owner help from the Scottish Government
An independent money advisor can help you apply to the Home Owners' Support Fund – run by the Scottish Government to help you stay in your home by:
- reducing your mortgage repayments by buying up to 30% of your home; or
- buying your home, allowing you to become a tenant
Get legal help
If you need legal advice about mortgage difficulties, going to court or repossession, you might be eligible for legal aid.