How to apply
Before applying for Funeral Support Payment, you should:
- register the death of the person who died
- check that you're eligible for Funeral Support Payment
- consider giving your funeral director consent to speak with Social Security Scotland about your application
To complete this form, you'll need:
- your National Insurance number
- details of the funeral director
- any travel receipts or funeral bills you have so far
- your bank account details, if you'd like Social Security Scotland to pay you and not your funeral director
If the funeral is for someone aged 18 or over
To complete the form, you'll need details of money left by the person who died, which is available and accessible.
This could be:
- up to date bank statements for any private bank accounts belonging to the person who died
- details of any cash left by the person who died
- details of any money due from life insurance policies
- details of any lump-sum due from pensions or burial clubs
Most people take around 25-35 minutes to complete the form.
You cannot apply online if you:
- do not have a permanent address
- do not have a bank account and have agreed a way for the Department for Work and Pensions to pay you
- are applying for someone who cannot manage their own affairs
You'll need to apply by phone or post if any of these apply to you.
If you're submitting a form that's late due to coronavirus (COVID-19), let us know by telling us in the 'Additional Information' box at the end of the form. You do not need to explain in detail, just tell us it's late due to coronavirus. Also, if you get any warning that your application is late when applying, ignore the warning and select 'continue with my application'.
Apply by phone
Call Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222 to make your application over the phone. An advisor can help you make your application at your own pace.
If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay.
The call centre opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Apply by post
You can apply by filling in a paper form. Social Security Scotland has different forms to apply for the funeral of a:
This is because they do not need as much information when you apply for the funeral of a baby, child or young person who was 17 or under.
You and your data
If you want to know more about how Social Security Scotland use your data, you can read the privacy notice.
If you need any extra help
If you'd like someone else to help you fill in your application, call or visit your local citizen's advice bureaux.
If you'd like support or want someone to talk to, find out more about support services available for bereaved parents.
If you'd like more information you can read advice about what to do when someone dies.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback