Renting your property out
Last updated: 15 July 2020


If you own a house or flat and want to rent it out for someone to live in as their home, there are a number of steps you have to take.

You have to:

If you're thinking about renting out your home, you might want to consider hiring a letting agent to help you.

If you're renting out a room in a property for someone to live in as their home while you're living there, the rules may be different. These types of tenancies are sometimes called 'common law' tenancies or 'occupancy agreements'. You can find out more about common law tenancies on the Shelter Scotland website.