You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Getting the property ready

Before renting out your property, you (or your letting agent) will have to do a number of checks to make sure it's in a reasonable condition.

Follow this checklist to cover some of the more important ones.

  • Make sure your property has smoke alarms, a heat alarm and fire extinguishers. All alarms should interlink. Alarms can be mains powered with battery backup or use long-life lithium batteries that cannot be changed. The battery alarms must be a sealed or tamper proof type. Read the guidance on fire detection in private rented properties on
  • Get an electrician to make sure the installation and electrical items in your property are safe. This can be checked by a test called the Electrical Installation Condition Report.
  • If you have any gas appliances, get a Gas Safe engineer to do an Annual Landlord Gas Safety Record check. This should be arranged every year, even after a tenant moves in.
  • Get an Energy Performance Certificate for your property. You have to include this in any advertising and show the certificate if anyone interested in renting wants to see it.
  • Make sure the property meets the Repairing Standard. It needs to be wind and watertight, but also needs water, gas, electricity and heating to be in a reasonable state of repair.
  • Make sure the property also meets the Tolerable Standard of repair.
  • Make sure any furniture you leave in the property meets fire regulations.
  • Put together an inventory, listing everything in the property. Take photos of the condition of furniture and carpets, and mention any damage.
  • Take meter readings so neither you or your tenants have to pay more than they should.

Advertising your property

If you're using a letting agent they'll usually advertise your property for you. If you are not, you may need to advertise the property yourself.

In any adverts, you have to give both your landlord registration number and your property's Energy Performance Certificate.

Back to top