You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


If you own a house or flat and want to rent it out for someone to live in as their home, there are a number of steps you have to take.

You have to:

If you're thinking about renting out your home, you might want to consider hiring a letting agent to help you.

If you're renting out a room in a property for someone to live in as their home while you're living there, the rules may be different. These types of tenancies are sometimes called 'common law' tenancies or 'occupancy agreements'.

Back to top