You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Small Business Bonus Scheme

You can get up to 100% non-domestic rates relief through the Small Business Bonus Scheme if all of these are true:

  • the combined rateable value of all your business premises is £35,000 or less
  • the rateable values of individual premises are £20,000 or less
  • the property is actively occupied

It's free to apply for rates relief, including the Small Business Bonus Scheme. You should be wary of anyone who proposes to apply on your behalf for a fee.

Use our non-domestic rates calculator to estimate your non-domestic rates bill.

Rates relief for small businesses is handled differently in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Visit GOV.UK's rates relief for small businesses to find out more.

The benefits

Relief available for ratepayers with one business property
Rateable value Relief
Up to £12,000 100% (no rates payable)
From £12,001 to £15,000  Scales from 100% to 25%
From £15,001 to £20,000     Scales from 25% to 0% 


Relief available for ratepayers with more than one property
Total rateable value  Relief
Up to £12,000 100% (no rates payable)
From £12,001 to £15,000 25% on each individual property with a rateable value of £15,000 or less
From £15,001 to £35,000 Scales from 25% to 0% for individual properties with rateable values from £15,001 to £20,000


If you fail to declare additional business properties occupied in Scotland on your application, this may constitute fraud and appropriate action may be taken.

The Small Business Bonus Scheme is not available to advertisements, car parks, betting shops and payday lending businesses.

Apply for the Small Business Bonus Scheme

You can apply for the Small Business Bonus Scheme through your local council by completing an application form. You should be able to find this on your local council's website. The application form asks for your name, address and rateable value of the business property you occupy and to sign a declaration for anti-fraud purposes. You don't need to declare sensitive information such as turnover or number of staff.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

You may also be able to apply for Small Business Transitional Relief because of changes from the 2023 Revaluation. 

Back to top