Small Business Bonus Scheme
You can get non-domestic rates relief through the Small Business Bonus Scheme if all of these are true:
- the combined rateable value of all your business premises is £35,000 or less
- the rateable values of individual premises are £20,000 or less
- the property is actively occupied
It's free to apply for rates relief, including the Small Business Bonus Scheme. You should be wary of anyone who proposes to apply on your behalf for a fee.
Use our non-domestic rates calculator to estimate your non-domestic rates bill.
Rates relief for small businesses is handled differently in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Visit GOV.UK's rates relief for small businesses to find out more.
For ratepayers with only one non-domestic property with a rateable value:
- up to £12,000 - 100% relief (no rates payable)
- from £12,001 to £15,000 - scales from 100% to 25% relief
- from £15,001 to £20,000 – scales from 25% to 0% relief
For ratepayers with more than one property and where the total (cumulative) rateable value of all your non-domestic properties is £12,000 or less, the relief is 100% (no rates payable).
For ratepayers with more than one property and where the total rateable value of all your non-domestic properties is between £12,001 and £35,000, then relief:
- is 25% on each individual property with a rateable value of £15,000 or less
- scales from 25% to 0% for individual properties with rateable values from £15,001 to £20,000
If you fail to declare additional business properties occupied in Scotland on your application, this may constitute fraud and appropriate action may be taken.
The Small Business Bonus Scheme is not available to advertisements, car parks, betting shops and payday lending businesses.
Apply for the Small Business Bonus Scheme
You can apply for the Small Business Bonus Scheme through your local council by completing an application form. You should be able to find this on your local council's website. The application form asks for your name, address and rateable value of the business property you occupy and to sign a declaration for anti-fraud purposes. You don't need to declare sensitive information such as turnover or number of staff.
You may also be able to apply for Small Business Transitional Relief because of changes from the 2023 Revaluation.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback