You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Charity Relief

Registered charities can apply for 80% rates relief. This is only if their property is mostly used for charitable purposes. This could be by the charity occupying the premises, or by other charities.

This relief is not available for mainstream independent schools.

Registered Community Amateur Sports Clubs may also apply for 80% rates relief. This is only if the property is mostly used by that club or other registered community amateur sports clubs .

Councils could also offer up to 20% additional relief on top of the 80%. This would mean you wouldn't have to pay any rates.

Councils could also choose to offer up to 100% relief on properties used by other not-for-profit organisations:

  • who carry out work for charitable, philanthropic or religious purposes, or
  • who are concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts
  • who are mainly used for recreation such as sports clubs

Check with your local council to see if you're eligible or to apply.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council
Back to top