You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


If you pay non-domestic rates, your property may be eligible for non-domestic rates relief. These discounts only apply to your non-domestic rates bill and won't directly reduce your rent, water charges or other bills.

Non-domestic rates are often referred to as 'business rates'.

Rates reliefs are handled differently in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

If you think you may be eligible for any discounts on your bill, such as the Small Business Bonus Scheme, you can contact your local council to discuss eligibility. This service is free.

You'll need to apply to your local council for reliefs (except Revaluation Tranistional Relief). You do not have to pay to apply. Be wary of anyone who proposes to apply on your behalf for a fee.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

If you're starting a business or occupying a new premises, you may need to apply for relief. You can apply online to most councils. In some areas, you might need to re-apply for your reliefs every year or if your council carries out a review.

In some cases, reliefs can even be back-dated. For example, if you forgot to apply in the relevant year. You should speak to your council for more information.

You have to apply for the following reliefs:

Your council might also offer local reliefs in your area. You should contact your council to find out more. You should also contact your council if:

Some reliefs might be affected by subsidy control rules. Contact your council for more information.

Use our non-domestic rates calculator to estimate your non-domestic rates bill.

You can find a timeline of future changes to non-domestic rates on

Back to top