Shopping and selling online
When shopping online, you should:
- look for 'https' and the padlock symbol in your browser window, before making payment
- use a secure Wi-Fi connection
- sign out of any websites you've registered your details with
You can find more advice about safe online shopping on the Get Safe Online website.
Travel and holidays
You should research the holiday or travel company online before booking.
Check they're members of a recognised travel authority, such as the:
- Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA)
- Air Travel Organisers' Licensing (ATOL)
- Association of Independent Tour Operators (AiTO)
You can find more advice on booking travel and holidays on the Get Safe Online website.
If you're using an auction website (such as eBay) to sell or buy things, you should:
- use an account name that's different from your email address
- read the auction company's online guides
- check the seller or buyer's profile, ratings and transaction history
- keep your contact information up-to-date
You can find information about selling online, on the Police Scotland website.
You can find more advice on the Get Safe Online website about: