You should protect yourself from fraud when:
- using online or mobile banking
- shopping or selling online
- sending money abroad
- donating to charity
There is no single way of doing this. But common advice includes:
- protecting your computer and devices
- checking a website is secure before making payments
- checking your bank statements for unusual transactions
One way of checking a website is secure is looking for 'https' or the padlock symbol in your browser window. The padlock sign means your connection is 'encrypted' and your personal information will reach the site without anyone else being able to read it. This does not guarantee that the website is legitimate.
If you've been the victim of an online crime, you should eport this to the police.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback