You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Can I get EMA

EMA is a weekly payment of £30, paid every 2 weeks in arrears.

If you meet the eligibility criteria you need to apply directly to your school or college.

Does my EMA affect other benefits?

EMA is currently paid in addition to Child Benefit and other benefits. Young people on Job Seekers' Allowance or on government supported training schemes are not eligible for EMAs.

Who can get an EMA (eligibility)

EMAs are available to eligible people aged 16 to 19 who have reached school leaving age.

To be eligible, you need to meet the following criteria:


There's different arrangements in place for different immigration statuses. Your local council and college will be able to let you know if can get EMA with your current residency status in your area.

Household income

Your household income will also determine if you're eligible for EMA. Household income is the income of your parent(s) or carer(s) who live with you.

To qualify, households with one dependent child must be earning £24,421 per year or less, and households with more than one dependent child must be earning £26,884 or less, before tax.

Dependent children are those up to the age of 16 and those between the age of 16 and 25 in full time further or higher education.


As well as the above, you can only qualify for EMA if you're any one of these:

All learners must take part in a learning agreement/action plan (previously known as an activity agreement) with the local council.

You can only get EMA if you're on a non-advanced course (those studying up to and including Advanced Highers at school, college or through home education). If you're not sure if your course qualifies as non-advanced, you should speak to your learning provider.

Contact your EMA team

Contact your local council's EMA team to find more information on being eligible:

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh City CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland Islands CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council
Back to top