You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

What will happen with your benefit

Before the move

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will send you a letter to say when your benefit will move to Social Security Scotland.

Social Security Scotland will send you a letter to say what will happen during the move.

During the move

DWP will send Social Security Scotland information about your Carer’s Allowance. This includes anything you’ve told them about yourself and the person you care for.

Social Security Scotland will use this information to make sure your Carer Support Payment works the same way as your Carer’s Allowance.

During the move, Social Security Scotland may need to contact you. This will be to confirm details like:

  • your address
  • your bank account
  • if you normally live in Scotland

If Social Security Scotland does need to call you, they’ll call from this number: 0800 182 2222.

If you’re unsure that a call or email is really from Social Security Scotland, call them free to confirm on 0800 182 2222.

Find out how to tell if a message is really from Social Security Scotland.

DWP will carry on paying your Carer’s Allowance until Social Security Scotland starts paying your Carer Support Payment.

Your Carer Support Payment award starts the day after your Carer’s Allowance award ends.

Learn more about your payments.

After the move

Social Security Scotland will send you another letter when the move is complete. This letter is to let you know:

  • how much Carer Support Payment you’ll get
  • what date your Carer Support Payment starts

Challenging a decision about your benefit

When you move from Carer’s Allowance to Carer Support Payment, you’ll keep getting the same amount.

If you think your Carer Support Payment is wrong, you can ask Social Security Scotland to look at your benefit again. This is called a ‘re-determination’.

Find out more about re-determinations.

If you live outside Scotland

If you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, you’ll stay on Carer’s Allowance.

If you live outside the UK

Your Carer’s Allowance will not automatically move to Carer Support Payment if you live outside the UK.

You can ask DWP to move your benefit to Carer Support Payment if:

  • you live in the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland or Gibraltar, and
  • you have a ‘genuine and sufficient link’ to Scotland

A genuine and sufficient link is where you do not live in Scotland, but have a link to Scotland. For example, you have spent a significant part of your life in Scotland.

Learn more about Social Security Scotland benefits if you live outside the UK.

Back to top