You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Moving from Carer’s Allowance to Carer Support Payment in Scotland

A new benefit called Carer Support Payment is replacing Carer’s Allowance in Scotland. This is happening as part of Scottish devolution.

Your benefit will move from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland if you:

  • get Carer's Allowance
  • live in Scotland

You do not need to apply for Carer Support Payment

If you get Carer’s Allowance, you do not need to apply for Carer Support Payment. DWP and Social Security Scotland will move your benefit for you.

If you do not get Carer’s Allowance, find out who can apply for Carer Support Payment.

The amount you get will stay the same

You’ll be paid the same amount of Carer Support Payment as you get from Carer’s Allowance.

If you get Carer’s Allowance Supplement, you’ll still get payments twice a year.

Learn more about your payments.

When your benefit will move

Some people’s benefits have already moved to Social Security Scotland. The process started in February 2024. It’ll take until spring 2025 to move everyone’s benefits across.

Learn more about what will happen with your benefit.

Back to top