You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Staying safe in winter weather

Travel conditions

You can get live information about road conditions from Traffic Scotland's website.

Get more information about staying safe when travelling in bad weather.

Try to avoid journeys when road conditions are bad.

Clearing snow and ice

Some local roads are cleared of snow and ice by your local council in line with the priorities of their winter road maintenance plans.

They may also clear pavements and footpaths. If they do not do this, you may need to do it yourself. There's information about how to clear pavements and footpath safely on GOV.UK.

Black ice on roads and pavements

If you can, avoid journeys when the roads are icy.

If you must travel, read Police Scotland's advice about driving safely in winter.

You can apply salt or grit to pavements outside your home or business to reduce black ice.

Grit bins

Grit bins are maintained by your council and are for residents or any road user.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh City CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighlands CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland Islands CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

Contact your local council with details of the grit bin location if it needs to be topped up.

Damage to your home

Frozen pipes

Scottish water offers advice on what to do if a pipe freezes.

You can also call a registered plumber.


It's dangerous to thaw frozen pipes by switching on your immersion heater or central heating boiler. This can cause frozen pipes to burst.

Find out how to protect your pipes in winter.

Burst pipes

Scottish Water offers advice on what to do in a pipe bursts in your home.

If a mains water pipe bursts in your area contact Scottish Water. If you're unsure what to do contact a registered plumber.

Falling ice and snow

Snow and ice can fall suddenly and cause damage to your property or vehicle. Contact your insurer if any damage has been caused.

Loss of utilities

Winter weather can lead to some households losing their supply of electricity, water or gas (known as 'utilities').

There's more information on what to do if you lose electricity, gas or water.


Get information on:

Find out more about preparing for flooding and what to do if flooding happens on the Scottish Environment Protection Agency's website.

Your health

If you're unwell during the winter, contact your local GP or call NHS24 on 111.

You can also visit the NHS 24 website for help on common winter illnesses.

Back to top