Veterans' housing

Last updated: 15 January 2018

When you leave the armed forces, the options for where you and your family can live include:

  • renting a property
  • buying a property
  • housing support
  • veteran housing charities
  • support if you are in danger of being or have been made homeless

More advice on housing in Scotland is available in the Scottish housing guide for people leaving the armed forces and ex-service personnel

You can find general advice on leaving the armed forces in the GOV.UK Service Leavers Pack.

Renting a property

If you're looking to rent a property you can get information and advice on renting from a private landlord and how to apply for housing from a local council or housing association (also known as social housing).

If you apply for social housing, landlords might ask you for a copy of your Certificate of Cessation of Entitlement to Occupy Service Accommodation. The Ministry of Defence (MOD) will give this to you 6 months before you leave the armed forces.

Contact the MOD

Ministry of Defence

Phone: 0808 1914 2 18

outside UK: +44 1253 866 043

Find out about call charges

Buying a property

If you want to buy a home when you leave the armed forces but can't afford to buy property on your own, there are several schemes that offer help to buy a house.

Some of these programmes give priority to veterans, such as the:

There is a legal process for buying a house or flat in Scotland that you should be familiar with. It helps make sure both the buyer and seller are protected during the sale.

Housing support

If you're renting from a private landlord and you're finding it hard to pay the rent, there are several types of housing support that might be available to you.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA)(housing benefit) or Universal Credit might be available to you depending on where you live, your income and personal circumstances.

There are other forms of support available if you can't pay your rent.

Disabled Housing

If you have a disability and you need help to find housing that meets your needs, there are organisations that can help.

Military Matters, a Housing Options Scotland programme, provides support and advice to service men and women, veterans and their families. They support people with any disability (a mental health problem, a learning disability or a physical disability) to solve housing problems.

Scottish Veterans Garden City Association provides housing for disabled veterans. If you're eligible you can make an application through Veterans Scotland.

Care equipment for your home

If you need adaptations to your home you should get in touch with your local council.

You can also get general information on services for disabled people from Disability Information Scotland.

Housing charities for veterans

Veterans Scotland work with housing charities and have resources that can help you find a place to live. You can view and apply for properties across Scotland on their website.

Using the Veterans Scotland form, you can apply to all of the housing charities for veterans at once.

How to apply
To apply you'll need to log in or register for a free Veterans Scotland account. You can then fill out the housing form online or print off a copy.

Veterans Scotland

Phone: 0131 550 1569

Fax: 0131 557 5819

Find out about call charges


New Haig House
Logie Green Road

There are several other charities that support veterans that can offer you general advice and assistance if you need help finding a place to live.


If you can't find anywhere to stay you should contact your local council as soon as possible to let them know you may be homeless. Ask to speak to a member of staff in their homeless team. Find out more about what to do if you're facing homelessness.

Find the contact details and website for your local council.

Scottish Veterans Residences provide support and accommodation for veterans who are homeless or in need.

If you haven't been discharged yet and you have nowhere to stay when you leave, speak to a member of your welfare team.

If your living situation changes suddenly you can get emergency housing support.