You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

What is supporting information

Why we need supporting information

Supporting information helps Social Security Scotland make sure it has as much detail as possible before making a determination on your application or reviewing your existing award. 

This is information that describes how the child is currently affected and what support they need. This will help Social Security Scotland understand how the child or young person’s disability affects their life. 

Social Security Scotland uses supporting information to help understand your application and make a determination on your application and entitlement. 

Supporting information documents are usually copies of documents about the child or young person’s care or mobility needs that you may have already.

You can provide documents or Social Security Scotland can gather information on your behalf. You should still apply if you do not have documents or do not know who to speak to. Social Security Scotland can still consider your application without this information.

What we’re looking for

For Child Disability Payment, you need to provide one piece of information from a professional to support your application where possible. You can also provide information from other people who know the child or young person and can describe how their condition affects them.

Social Security Scotland can use supporting information you provide to:

  • understand the child's current experienced symptoms
  • understand the impact on their daily living

Social Security Scotland will use supporting information to build a picture of the child or young person’s lived experience.

Supporting information will be used to understand:

  • the child’s diagnosis
  • currently experienced symptoms and how they affect the child
  • the severity and impact or symptoms
  • current care and mobility needs, including the impact on their everyday life
  • any treatments, therapies or adaptations the child or young person has

Older information or general information on the condition may not be as helpful, unless the impact of the child’s condition is stable. This is because the information:

  • may not reflect the child’s current circumstances
  • may be out of date

If you’re unsure about what to send or if you’re not sure who you would ask, call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222.

Ask Social Security Scotland to gather supporting information on your behalf

You can provide documents yourself or Social Security Scotland can help you by gathering supporting information on your behalf.

Social Security Scotland can approach individuals or organisations on your behalf to ask for information in support of your application. Social Security Scotland will only contact individuals or organisations who you have given your permission to contact.

If you’re worried about getting information from a professional or are not sure who you would ask, call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222.

The call centre opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm (UK time).

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay.


Examples of supporting information


You can send documents you have about the child or young person’s disability. The type of documents you may have could depend on the child’s circumstances and disability. 

We’re looking for information that describes the child’s current symptoms and the impact they're currently having. 

Supporting information you can send includes:

  • test results or certificates
  • medical reports or letters, such as occupational therapy reports, physiotherapy reports, discharge letters from hospitals, reports from Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.
  • social care assessments or social work assessments
  • reports or letters from the child’s school, social workers or carers
  • educational support plans
  • care plans or treatment plans
  • the supporting information form filled out by someone who knows or cares for the child


Back to top