You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Support for the Armed Forces Community

For support purposes a veteran is anyone who either:

  • has served for at least one day in His Majesty's Armed Forces (regular and reserve)
  • was a Merchant Mariner who saw duty on military operations

If you're a member of the Armed Forces community, you may be able to get support in these areas:


If you need help finding a place to live there's support specifically for the Armed Forces community.

Funding for education and training

You can get funding for qualifications if you've been in the armed forces.


If you're looking for a job, there are several organisations that can help you find a job or develop new skills.

Armed forces pensions

Armed forces and veterans pensions are administered by Veterans UK, part of the UK government.

Support organisations

There are a number of support organisations that can provide help to members of the Armed Forces community.

Scottish Government support

The Scottish Government is committed to making sure no member of the armed forces veterans community, including spouses and partners, in Scotland faces any disadvantage when accessing services and support.

The Scottish Government has also appointed a Scottish Veterans Commissioner whose remit is to improve outcomes for all veterans. The commissioner is independent of the government and they have their own dedicated funding.

Local council and health board Armed Forces and veterans champions

Local councils and NHS health boards in Scotland have Armed Forces and Veterans Champions. They are officials who help make sure the needs of the ex-service community are met in their area.

Apply for a veterans badge

The armed forces lapel badge is for veterans to show that they served in the armed forces.

UK government support

Veterans UK is part of the Ministry of Defence. They provide free support for veterans and their families.

Veterans UK Welfare Service in Scotland


Veterans UK
Mail Point 480
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
G2 8EX



Freephone: 0808 1914 218
Find out about call charges on GOV.UK.

Back to top