You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


You've been redirected from a site that no longer exists (). Find what you're looking for on

Crisis Grants

You can only apply for a Crisis Grant through your local council. Find your local council to apply. You cannot apply through the Scottish Government.

A Crisis Grant can be given to cover the costs of an emergency.

Examples of this could include when:

  • there's a fire or flood at home
  • you've lost money
  • an unexpected crisis happens
  • you're a victim of domestic abuse and you need help with things like moving away from an abuser
  • you're a grandparent or other relative who has taken over caring for a child, and you're waiting on a transfer of benefits
  • you're facing a gap in your normal income because of a redundancy or change at work

Your income

To get a Crisis Grant you need to be on a low income - this doesn't mean you need to be on benefits.

What counts as a low income

There is no figure that will be used to judge whether you have a low income. As a guide, if you're on one of the benefits below, or your income is about the same as someone who is, it's more likely you'll be able to get a Crisis Grant:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Income based
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - Income based
  • Universal Credit

What help you'll get

If you do get a Crisis Grant, your local council will look at helping you with your most urgent living costs.

Some things this may include are help with the costs of:

  • food
  • heating costs
Crisis Grants are one-off payments and can't be given to support your income long term. If you need help on a low income, check what benefits you might be able to get with entitledto or turn2us.
Back to top