You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Community Care Grant - how to apply

You must be 16 or over and on a low income to apply for a Community Care Grant.

How to apply 

You can only apply for a Community Care Grant through your local council.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland Islands CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

You cannot apply through the Scottish Government.

If you need help applying

If you cannot apply online or need help with your application, contact your local council.

They may offer other ways to apply such as by:

  • paper application form
  • email
  • phone

How long it takes

Most councils will tell you the outcome of your application within 15 working days.

However, some councils are taking longer than this due to an increase in applications.

Your local council may let you know how long you’ll wait once you submit an application.

Who can apply for a Community Care Grant

You may be able to get a Community Care Grant if:

  • you're leaving care or imprisonment and need help to start a settled home
  • you've been homeless, or living an unsettled life, and need help to start a settled home
  • you need support to stay out of care
  • you're caring for someone who's been released from prison or a young offender's institution
  • you're experiencing great pressure and need help to keep a settled home
  • you're escaping domestic abuse
  • a child's health is at risk

Your income

To get a Community Care Grant you need to be on a low income. This does not mean you need to be on benefits

What counts as a low income

There's no figure that confirms whether you've a low income. As a guide, if you're on one of the benefits below, or your income is about the same as someone who is, it's more likely you can get a Community Care Grant:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) - Income based
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - Income based
  • Universal Credit

Your savings

If you have savings of over £700, or £1,200 if you get a pension, you'll be less likely to get a Community Care Grant. Your local council will decide.


Back to top