To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Help with a relationship problem

If you and your partner are having relationship problems you can get support to try to sort things out.


Relationship counselling – also called couple or marriage counselling – is when you meet with a trained counsellor. They'll talk about your problems with you and try to help resolve them.

Your partner doesn't need to be with you to attend a counselling session.

Find a counselling service through The Spark. Phone the charity's relationship helpline on 0808 802 2088. It's open from Monday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and it's a free number.

Find a local counselling service through Relationships Scotland. The charity has information about what happens at counselling including how much it costs.

If you decide to split up

Mediation can help couples who have decided to split up reach agreements about children or the family home. A mediator won't take sides or tell you what to do, and could save you asking the court to decide on arrangements.

Find support and information about separating from a partner.

If you're in an abusive relationship


If you and your children are in immediate danger and need help, call 999.

If you're experiencing domestic abuse you can get help from support organisations.

Phone the Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 027 1234 to talk about your options. It's a 24 hour line and the number won't show up on an itemised phone bill. You can also send a text message or WhatsApp on 07401 288595.

Back to top