To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Health and wellbeing after separation

When a relationship breaks down it can leave you and your children feeling different emotions. You might find some of these difficult to deal with.

If you think you may need some extra support, your first step could be to see your GP – or another health professional you feel comfortable with – and tell them how you're feeling.

NHS inform has advice on mental wellbeing, including counselling and therapy options.

Support organisations

You can speak to a support organisation for emotional help and practical advice.

Breathing Space
0800 83 85 87
Weekdays: Monday to Thursday, 6pm to 2am
Weekend: Friday 6pm to Monday 6am
Free and confidential help and support for people experiencing depression or anxiety.

Relationships Scotland
0345 119 2020 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
Provides relationship counselling, family mediation and other family support services across Scotland.

0800 1111
Offers confidential help and advice on any topic for children up to the age of 19. Phone the helpline or speak to a trained counsellor online.

Young Scot
0808 801 0338
Provides information to young people in Scotland on all aspects of life – including coping with a family break-up.

Heart to Heart
07521 056 581
Find confidential support courses for adults and children affected by divorce or separation.

Shared Parenting Scotland
0131 557 2440 
Offers monthly support groups online and across Scotland for parents to share their experiences of separation and divorce.

One Parent Families Scotland
0808 801 0323
Provides help to single parent families, a lone parent helpline and local support services covering employability and childcare.

Scottish Women's Aid
Phone: 0131 226 6606
Provides advice, support and safe accommodation for women (and their children) who have been abused by their partner or ex-partner. They can recommend local groups.

AMIS (Abused Men in Scotland)
Phone: 0808 800 0024
Supports men who are experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse. Call the confidential helpline (it's free to call from landlines and most UK mobiles, and doesn't appear on itemised phone bills) or find a local service near you.

Scottish Centre for Conflict Resolution
Phone: 0131 475 2493
Support for young people and their families to resolve conflicts at home. Find advice and information about conflict resolution and online support from professional mediators.

Back to top