You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Employing a rating agent

You can query your rateable value by contacting your assessor. There's no charge for any information they provide.

You may want to use a rating agent to help you deal with issues such as appealing your rateable value or checking what the likely effect of any changes will be.

A local expert may have detailed knowledge of procedures and of any local conditions that might affect rateable values.

Before appointing a rating agent, make sure that you have a clear agreement on what they will do for you and what they will charge. Typically, tasks include valuing your premises to determine what the rateable value should be.

If there are grounds for a reduction, your agent can lodge an appeal and act as the point of contact with your local assessor. Remember that a reduction in your rateable value does not guarantee a reduction in your non-domestic rates bill.

Your agreement should clearly state what fees are payable to the agent and if these are affected if your rates bill isn't reduced.

Members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) must follow a rating consultancy code of practice. You can contact RICS or one of their members for advice from a local chartered surveyor.

Back to top