You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Short breaks from caring

Short breaks allow you to rest, enjoy hobbies or spend time with friends or family. 

Short breaks can take the form you need to help your health and wellbeing, such as:

  • short holidays
  • overnight breaks
  • an hour for yourself each week
  • a one-off occasion

You can take breaks on your own or with the person you care for with extra help. 

A break may involve someone else providing residential care or care at home (also called respite care or replacement care). 

Financial help for short breaks

You may be able to get financial help to take short breaks from:

Ask your carer centre if there's local financial help for short breaks. 

Support from your local council

You may be eligible for financial support from your local council to take short breaks. 

Ask your local social work service for an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement. They must consider if you need short breaks when creating your plan or statement. 

If you're eligible for breaks, your plan or statement will state what you need and how your breaks will be arranged. For example, the council may give you money to arrange your own breaks (a 'self-directed support direct payment'). 

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

Emergency respite care

You may need emergency respite care in unexpected situations, for example, if you're ill and unable to provide care. 

You can ask for emergency support from your local council even if you do not:

Contact your local social work service if you need emergency respite care. 

Your local carer centre can also help you to create an emergency care plan. 

Find your local council's social work service. 

Back to top