You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Get an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement

You have the right to get a plan from your local council that outlines your needs as a carer and the support you'll get. 

The plan is called either:

  • an Adult Carer Support Plan
  • a Young Carer Statement – if you're a young carer

The plan is a written record of:

  • your caring role
  • your physical, mental and emotional needs
  • whether you're able or willing to continue caring
  • what services the council will provide to you
  • whether you're eligible for financial support
  • an emergency care plan – for example, who'll provide care if you're ill

How to get an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement

Ask the social care department of your local council or carer centre for an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement. 

They'll create a personalised plan or statement for you. They'll speak to you and may visit you to understand your circumstances. 

They should give you a written copy of your plan or statement. 

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

If your circumstances change 

Ask the council or carer centre to update your plan or statement if your circumstances change, for example: 

  • the person you care for has new care needs 
  • you're caring for longer or more often 
  • you move into work or education 

When you turn 19  

When you’re 19, you’re no longer a young carer.  

Ask your local council or carer centre for an Adult Carer Support Plan.  

Tell them about any changes in your circumstances. For example, if you’re going to college, university or doing an apprenticeship.  

Your Young Carer Statement is valid until an Adult Carer Support Plan is completed. You should keep getting support until the new plan is agreed.  

Back to top