You can get a Funeral Support Payment if all of the following apply:
- you live in Scotland
- you or your partner are getting certain benefits or tax credits
- the person who died lived in the UK
- the funeral is being held in the UK or in some circumstances in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
- you are applying after the person has died, until 6 months after the date of their funeral
- you or your partner are responsible for the funeral
- it is reasonable for you or your partner to accept responsibility for the funeral costs
Usually, it is reasonable for the nearest relative of the person who died to accept responsibility for the funeral costs. A nearest relative could be a partner, child, parent or sibling. If you or your partner are not the nearest relative, you'll need to explain to us when you apply, why it's reasonable to have accepted responsibility. You can use the 'If you think there is something else we need to know' box at the end of the form to provide this information. We will call you to discuss this.
If you could not apply for the Funeral Support Payment within 6 months of the funeral taking place due to the disruption caused by coronavirus (COVID-19), we'll accept your application as on time. If you've received a backdated benefit you may also have longer to apply. Call Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222 for more information.
You might be able to get a different payment if you live in:
To be able to get Funeral Support Payment you must have access to public funds. If you're subject to immigration control and have no recourse to public funds then you will not be able to get Funeral Support Payment.
Benefits and tax credits you or your partner must get
You or your partner must get one or more of the following:
- Child Tax Credit
- Universal Credit (UC)
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit (disability or severe disability element)
- Housing Benefit
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), not contribution-based JSA
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), not contribution-based ESA
If you or your partner are waiting to hear about your application for one of these benefits, you can still apply for Funeral Support Payment. However, we'll only be able to let you know if you're able to get Funeral Support Payment once we know the outcome of your other benefit applications.
Social Security Scotland can only let you know if you can get Funeral Support Payment when they know the outcome of your benefit applications.
If you think you should be getting any of these benefits, you can find out more on GOV.UK. If you've received a backdated benefit or have been affected by COVID-19, you may have longer to apply. Call us on 0800 182 2222 for more information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback