If you pay business rates, your property may be eligible for business rates relief. These discounts only apply to your business rates bill and won't directly reduce your rent, water charges or other bills.
If you think you may be eligible for any discounts on your bill, such as the Small Business Bonus Scheme, you can contact your local council to discuss eligibility. This service is free.
You'll need to apply to your local council for some reliefs. You do not have to pay to apply. Be wary of anyone who proposes to apply on your behalf for a fee.
If you're starting a business or occupying a new premises, you may need to apply for relief. You can apply online to most councils. In some areas, you might need to re-apply for your reliefs every year or if your council carries out a review.
In some cases, reliefs can even be back-dated. For example, if you forgot to apply in the relevant year. You should speak to your council for more information.
You have to apply for the following reliefs:
- Small Business Bonus Scheme
- Empty Property relief
- Charitable rate relief
- Fresh Start (if you're moving into premises that have been empty for a long time)
- Business Growth Accelerator relief (for new builds and property improvements)
- Hardship relief
- Rural rate relief
- Disabled persons relief
- Enterprise Area relief
- Transitional relief (for hospitality businesses and offices in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire)
- District heating relief
- Renewable energy generation relief
- Day nursery relief
Your council might also offer local reliefs in your area. You should contact your council to find out more. You should also contact your council if:
- you're not getting any reliefs you think you're entitled to
- your circumstances change
- the property changes hands
Use our business rates calculator to estimate your business rates bill.
You can find a timeline of future changes to business rates on gov.scot.
On 1 April 2019 Scottish Government introduced a 100% relief for new fibre broadband infrastructure. This relief will be in place for 10 years.