You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Contacting the police and victim support

You can get support even if you do not report the crime to the police.

  1. Report a crime

    In an emergency call 999, to report a crime call 101.

  2. Specialist help after a crime

    Specialist support for victims and witnesses, depending on the type of crime.

  3. Understanding criminal justice

    Information for victims and witnesses on what happens at each stage of the criminal justice system.

  4. After a crime: your rights

    Your rights as a victim or witness of crime – includes information on the Victims' Code for Scotland and the Standards of Service for victims and witnesses.

  5. After your police interview: victims and witnesses

    Information for victims and witnesses about the police investigation, the prosecution process, the Scottish Children's Reporter Administration and how to ask for information.

  6. Claim compensation after a criminal injury

    Apply for compensation if you or someone you know has been hurt in a violent crime, a crime abroad or a terrorist attack.

  7. Contact the police

    Contact the police by calling 999 to report emergencies or by calling 101 for non-emergencies.

  8. Dealing with the media: victims and witnesses

    Information for victims and witnesses of crime on dealing with the media and how to stop unwanted attention.

  9. Get support as a victim or witness of crime

    Find emotional support and practical information if you have been the victim of crime.

  10. Giving a statement after a crime

    You'll normally be asked to give the police a statement so they can understand what happened.

  11. Going to court as a victim or witness

    What happens at a criminal, civil or Children's Hearing court case. Giving evidence and claiming witness expenses at court.

  12. Report a missing person

    Report a missing person to Police Scotland. You don’t need to wait 24 hours before contacting the police.

  13. Report a wanted person

    Report a wanted person or find information about wanted fugitives in Scotland.

  14. Report noise or antisocial behaviour

    Find out how to report antisocial behaviour like noisy neighbours, litter and vandalism.

  15. Report your lost property

    How to report your lost property to Police Scotland.

Back to top