Bereavement benefits and help with money

Last updated: 31 July 2019

Your income and financial circumstances may change after the death of your husband, wife, partner or child.

You may be able to get financial support to help you deal with the loss of someone close to you.


You'll have to make new claims for some benefits that your husband, wife or civil partner was claiming for your family.

You may be able to get benefits to help with your bereavement:

If you apply for one type, you'll be considered for all available bereavement benefits at the same time.

There are some time limits for when you can apply for benefits, so it's important you start checking what support you could be entitled to as soon as possible.

Use a benefits calculator or get local benefits advice to find out what you may be entitled to.

Child Benefit

You'll need to make a new claim for Child Benefit if you weren't the person named as the claimant on the original claim form.

Tax credits

You should tell the Tax Credit Office about the death within one month if you haven't already heard from them. Phone the Tax Credit Helpline to report the death.

If you have a late miscarriage

If you lose a baby before 24 completed weeks of pregnancy, you're not entitled to maternity benefits.

If you're an employee, you're entitled to Statutory Sick Pay and you should be able to get compassionate leave.

The Money Advice Service website has information on what support you can get if you have a late miscarriage.

If your baby has died shortly after birth

If your baby was stillborn after 24 completed weeks of pregnancy, or dies within 4 weeks of birth, you may be able to get financial support.

If you're an employee, you may be eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay for a maximum of 39 weeks while you're off work.

You must make your claim within 28 days of your baby's death.

The Money Advice Service website has information on what support you can get if your baby has died shortly after birth.

Tax and pensions

If you get extra money from pensions, annuities, benefits or an inheritance, you may need to pay more tax. You may be on a lower income and need to pay less tax.

You might also be able to get extra pension payments from your husband, wife or civil partner's pension or National Insurance contributions.

Visit GOV.UK for information on your tax and pension after the death of a spouse.

Help with money and debt

Visit Scotland's Financial Health Service for information on managing your money, finding a local money adviser and how to get help if you're in debt.

You can also get money advice and information from:

Money Talk Team

The Money Talk Team is a service that offers money advice to older people and families.

It helps explain how to make the most of your income and make sure you're not paying more than you need to for services like gas, electricity and internet.

It can help you find out:

  • what benefits you can get
  • how to save money on your bills
  • what other money you may be entitled to

You can chat to the Money Talk Team by calling 0800 085 7145, or by setting up a meeting to your local Citizens Advice Bureau.