Apply for basic disclosure
You can apply for a basic disclosure online or by completing a paper form.
If you need a basic disclosure for a job in England or Wales, apply to the Disclosure and Barring Service. If you want a basic disclosure for personal reasons rather than work purposes, apply where you live – Disclosure Scotland if you live in Scotland, or the Disclosure and Barring Service if you live in England or Wales.
Before you start
You must do your own basic disclosure application.
To use the online system your address must be in the UK. If you live outside the UK you must apply using a paper form.
Supporting information for your application
You'll need the following information to hand before you start your online application:
- your address details for the past 5 years
- your National Insurance number
- pen and paper/printer to note down your reference number at the end of the process
You'll need to supply a copy of one of the following which includes your date of birth:
- passport (photo page only)
- driving licence (full or provisional)
- birth certificate
- adoption certificate
- marriage certificate
- civil partnership certificate
You'll also need to supply a copy of one of the following which includes your current address:
- utility bill (gas, electric or phone)
- council tax bill or letter
- bank or credit card statement
- mortgage statement
- tenancy agreement (typed, not handwritten)
- insurance policy document or letter
- payslip or P60
- UK hospital or doctor's letter
If you can't upload or would prefer to email your document copies, do this after you have completed the online application. Please don't send originals as they won't be returned.
- Email copies to email@example.com
- Fax them to 03000 2000 50
- Post them to: Disclosure Scotland, Basic EHU, PO Box 250, Glasgow, G51 1YU
Remember to include your 18 digit case reference number.
You'll need to pay an application fee of £25. Make sure you have a credit or debit card ready for this.
Apply using a paper form
If you can't apply online or live outside the UK, you can apply using a paper form.