You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Get help with debt and money

You can get different types of help and advice with debt and money. Many charities and organisations give free guidance and advice. Some individuals and organisations may charge a fee.

What debt advisers do

A debt adviser can:

  • help you find ways to manage your debt
  • suggest ways to deal with your debt

Debt advisers can offer help you might not know about.

Organisations that can help with debt and money

These organisations are supported by the Scottish Government and can help with information about debt and money. They will not charge you for advice and information.

You can also get help from the Money and Pensions Service Money Helper.

You may also be able to get help and advice from your local council or your housing association if you're a housing association tenant.


You may be able to get help with some rent arrears or mortgage repayments. Find out how to get help:

Energy bills

You may be able to get help if you cannot pay your energy bills.

Get help from Money Talk Team

The Money Talk Team service offers free money and debt advice.

The service can help you understand what you’re entitled to and ways to save money.

It can help you find out:

  • what benefits and other financial support you may be entitled to
  • how you can manage debt
  • ways to save money on your outgoings

You can get more information on the Money Talk Team website or by calling 0800 028 1456.

You can also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau for in person support.

Back to top