Documents to support your application
When you apply online, you'll need:
- email address
- SAAS reference number if you've applied before
- National Insurance Number - you can find this on your National Insurance Card, benefit letter, payslip or P60
- bank details
- course name and the university name
- documents for any financial support you've applied for, for example documents proving you're a single parent if you've applied for a Lone Parent Grant
Gathering information and evidence for your funding application can take time. Make sure you apply before the deadline.
Sending documents through your SAAS Account
The quickest way to send documents is through the SAAS Document Uploader.
The Document Uploader is a section of the SAAS Account that can be used to electronically upload documents that you need for your application.
Find the Document Uploader by:
- selecting My Account
- choosing your Dashboard
You can upload a scanned file or a photograph. Make sure it's the file size is not bigger than 5MB.
After choosing the file from your device, select a document category and document type from the drop-down list. Check that you've selected the right document before you upload.
You can give SAAS more information about the document after uploading it.
Evidence you need – proof of household income
You only need proof if your household income is under £34,000.
Submit scanned copies of documents to SAAS if you can. Original documents are not returned to you.
|Income from||What SAAS counts||Evidence you can upload|
|Employment (PAYE)||They need your parents' or partner's 'total gross income' – the amount earned before tax, National Insurance and pension are taken off. Include any commission, bonuses and overtime earned.||- P60
- Last payslip of the tax year
|Self-employment||They need the 'taxable profit'.||- Self Assessment tax return
- Income details from accountant
|Unemployment||They will look at some state benefits – like Jobseeker's Allowance. Find out which benefits SAAS takes into account.||P60U or a letter from Jobcentre Plus or DWP confirming total benefits received|
|One or more of:
- interest on bonds and trusts
- interest from bank / building society and investments
- other sources (like maintenance payments)
|If you receive maintenance, you only need to provide proof if it's for another child in further or higher education.||- Self Assessment tax return
- Income details from accountant
- Statements showing interest or investments
|Pension||They'll look at income from private, employers or retirement pensions.||Pension statements|
Evidence you need – proof of other personal circumstances
Which documents you need to send to SAAS will depend on the personal circumstances of the person or people who contribute to the 'household income'. This could be you, your parents, husband, wife, partner or civil partner.
Submit scanned copies of documents to SAAS if you can. Original documents are not returned to you
|Type of personal circumstance||Who||Evidence you can upload|
|Separation, divorce or civil partnership dissolution||You or your parents||Separation agreement
Extract decree of dissolution of a civil partnership
Council Tax bill showing the 25% single occupancy discount
|Lone parent (if applying for Lone Parent's Grant)||You||Proof of being a single parent, like a recent:
- Child Tax Credit letter
- Council Tax bill
- full birth certificate (not the shorter one) for a school-age or younger child in your household
|Independent student who:
- is married
- is under 25
- hasn't been self-supporting for 3 years since leaving full-time education
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback