You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

After buying

For any queries after buying your home, you should first contact the registered social landlord or local authority who handled the purchase of the home.

Increasing your share

When you enter a shared ownership agreement, you'll start by buying a 25%, 50% or 75% share in the home.

You'll have the option to buy a larger share at any time after you've been living in the home for a year. This is called 'staircasing'.

The housing association will tell you how much of a larger share you can buy.

If you buy a larger share, the Occupancy Charge you pay to the housing association will be recalculated to reflect the smaller share owned by the association.

Selling your home

You can sell your home (or your share in the home) at any time, but you have to tell the housing association in writing that you want to move.

Your shared ownership agreement (also known as your Exclusive Occupancy Agreement) might have a clause in it which means you have to offer the home to the housing association to buy back first. Your housing association will tell you if it does.

If you sell your home, you will get the same share of the selling price that you own. For example, if you own 25% of the home, you'll get 25% of the selling price.

Before you can sell your home you'll need to get a Home Report. Discuss this with your housing association because you might be responsible for paying for a Home Report.

Back to top