You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

After you apply

How to send us documents

You may have been told you need to send a copy of a certificate, a legal order or a letter from your local authority when you applied. If so, you'll need to send this before Social Security Scotland can finish checking your form. You can do this online or send your documents in the post.

For online upload

You can upload your documents online.

For post, send to:

Social Security Scotland
PO Box 27155
G4 7DX

You should check you've paid the right amount of postage before you send the copy of your certificate, legal order or letter from your local authority.

Write the following information on your photocopied documents:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number
  • the words 'Scottish Child Payment', even if you're applying for Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods at the same time, so we know what you're applying for

If you do not include these things, your payment could be delayed.

If you want to send your documents by post, you should only send photocopies. It can take Social Security Scotland a while to return any original documents.

If you'd like a pre-paid envelope to send documents, call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222 and they'll send you one.

If your circumstances change

You must let Social Security Scotland know if your circumstances change. This could be if:

  • you move house outside of Scotland
  • you're no longer looking after a child
  • you either have a new partner living with you, or a partner has stopped living with you
  • you stop getting a benefit

If you do not tell Social Security Scotland about your change of circumstance straight away, you may be prosecuted. Section 72 of the Social Security (Scotland) Act 2018 says it's an offence not to tell them about a change of circumstance that they've asked you to. Money may be taken back from you, stopped or reduced in the future if you are paid too much.

Read the 'If your circumstances change' guide to find out more about:

  • the changes in circumstances you need to let Social Security Scotland know about
  • how to tell Social Security Scotland about the changes

Other changes you need to tell Social Security Scotland about

To make sure Social Security Scotland has the correct details, you also need to tell them if:

  • your name changes
  • your bank details change
  • your contact details change
  • you move house

You should also let them know if you've started looking after another child, to make sure you get all the payments you should. You may also need to update the provider of any other benefits you get.

Get help

If you need further help, call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222.

Back to top