You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Who should apply

You may be able to get Scottish Child Payment if all of the following apply:

  • you live in Scotland
  • you or your partner are getting certain benefits or payments
  • you or your partner are the main person looking after a child who's under 6 years old

The main person looking after your child (if any) might want to complete the application form, or use their bank details for payment.

Benefits or payment you or your partner must get

You can apply whether you're in work or not, as long as you're getting one or more of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If you're not getting any of these benefits or payments, but have applied for one, you can still apply for Scottish Child Payment.

You might get one of these benefits or payments, but have a sanction or deduction on your claim. This is when you get a cut in your benefits because you did not meet certain conditions or pay money you owe. If so, you can still apply, as this will not affect our decision on your application.

A sanction or deduction on one of these benefits might happen during the time you're getting Scottish Child Payment. If this happens, you must let us know, as you might still meet the conditions of Scottish Child Payment.

You need to send us some information with your application that shows us details of the sanction or deduction. This can be a copy of any of these:

  • a Universal Credit statement
  • a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit award letter
  • a Tax Credit award letter

If you're not sure if you're the main person looking after a child

You can apply if you're the main person looking after a child, such as if you're:

  • the child's birth parent
  • living with the birth parent and both of you are a couple, married or civil partners
  • the child's kinship carer, or your partner is a kinship carer

Confirming you're the main person looking after a child

To show you're the main person looking after a child, the child must be named on either you or your partner's claim for one of these benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit

If you or your partner are kinship carers, you need to have something to show you look after the child. This can be either:

  • a letter from your local council
  • a copy of a legal order

The type of legal order you need to have includes:

  • a Kinship Care Order
  • a Residence Order
  • a Guardianship order

You or your partner might have a written kinship care agreement with the local council. This can also be used as supporting information for your application for Scottish Child Payment.

Back to top